Secret of the West Wind
“Janette Geri provides a work of complete sensitivity and integrity. It’s one thing to praise the arrangements, it’s another to pay tribute to the excellent vocal delivery but something must be said about her lyrics which really do court a subtle sense of the poetic. Recited as poetry, her words stand dramatically tall.” Terry Reilly – The Age
“Secret of The West Wind” is an outstanding musical journey. Geri’s spellbinding voice, glorious and sparkling production In the tradition of Paul Simon’s “Rhythm of The Saints” and Loreena McKennitt’s “The Mask and Mirror”, “Secret of The West Wind” moves easily through African rhythms and Celtic themes and more, with a genuine freshness and vibrant integrity. On “Secret of The West Wind” Janette produces, arranges/sings and plays many of the instruments. Special guest artists include Geoff Achison on guitar, and Michael Losin on vioin and one track features a stunning 20-piece women’s choir.
Some feature tracks include:
1. WINDSONG – The opening strains set the scene – the sad tones of a mystic harp call into the dark mists, echoed by low, haunting voices. Then with a rush, comes the full force of the wind, the relentless rhythm compelling the listener on a journey of longing. Geoff Achison features with scorching electric lead guitar.
2. NO KINDNESS – This song drips with sensuality and deep desire. Bluesy lead guitar sits just behind Janette’s sultry vocals; seductive and full of the night.
3. FINAL CRY – This hymn of the Spirit evokes parallels between Native American legends and Celtic imagery, and indeed many cultural traditions. A beautiful 20-voice choir and ethnic drums call up
the power of the heart. The song is a chant, a dance, an invitation to the power of ritual.
6. CASTLES – Irresistibly danceable African feel. A joyous celebration, full of optimism and hope. Janette’s production excels with exuberant marimba and playful tin-whistle, cheeky brass and
a solid kick drum. The ‘feel-good’ rhythm is infectious and the message is simple: “..Do it now!..”
9. FINE FLOWERS IN THE VALLEY – A sad and incredibly beautiful lament for a love gone astray, written for one of Janette’s closest friends. This song draws on Celtic traditions and features lovely acoustic guitar, harp and haunting clarinet.
10. THE RETURN – Absolutely stirs the soul. With definite Scottish leaning, this song is about the longing to return. Almost classical in style, Janette’s voice is sublime. Featuring a superb violin solo from Michael Losin.